After years of experience in hospitals and long working hours, are you ready to set up a medical clinic in Malaysia you can call your own?
With overcrowding being a persistent problem in the public healthcare system, Malaysians started favouring private healthcare since they provide more advanced facilities and better medical care. So, setting up a clinic would be a sensible choice.
Due to the surge in demand for private healthcare, the Private Healthcare Facilities and Services Act 1998 and Regulations 2006 was formed. It constitutes a private clinic as one that is built on a non-government premise with intentions to practice medicine and treat outpatients.
It defines treatment as:
- Identification, diagnosis, and treatment of a patient suffering from any physical or mental ailment
- Preventive or promotive healthcare
- To provide the patient relief from any physical or mental abnormal condition prevailing in them
Hence, the Act helped to simplify the licensing and incorporation process for private healthcare services in Malaysia.
The Malaysian healthcare system is a two-tier organisation – Public Universal healthcare and Private healthcare. The Ministry of Health regulates and monitors the latter whereas, the Licensing Unit of Ministry issues licenses to clinics, private hospitals, nursing homes, and maternity homes.
A Guide on How to Set Up a Medical Clinic in Malaysia
- When selecting a location, consider and research:
- The demographic and their financial status.
- The population density.
- Residential or commercial are, as somewhere with sufficient parking is ideal.
- Are there other clinics in the vicinity? Because you might want to avoid too much competition.
- Renting or owning a building is necessary.
- If you are renting, be prepared for at least three months’ worth of rent and a well-written and reviewed rental agreement.
- The Private Healthcare Facilities and Services Act 1998 and Regulations 2006 require you to register with your respective state. The state office may accept your application after you pay a processing fee and meet all requirements. They will then issue a Letter of No Objection, permitting you to begin your clinic’s interior renovation and furnishing.
Preparing Your Medical Clinic
- As stipulated in ACT 586, you are required to draw up your clinic’s floor plan with a contractor. Be sure to include a room list and the measurements for treatment rooms, consultation rooms, etc.
- Amend your APC (Annual Practicing Certificate) at the Ministry of Health to include your new clinic address. The Medical Act 1971 states that medical practitioners must register with the MMC and apply for the APC every year.
- Then, you need to obtain a license for clinic advertisement from your local council or Kuala Lumpur City Hall. The processing time is approximately two months.
- Using your APC, open an account with manufacturing companies and place your drug supply orders.
- Moreover, complete your staff’s EPF and SOCSO accounts beforehand.
- Additionally, installing an x-ray machine will require a specific license.
- Register with the Companies Commission of Malaysia under the Registration of Business Act 1956. Foreign companies will need to incorporate their company under the Companies Act 2016 to set up a private practice in Malaysia.
Once everything is in place, you are ready to open a medical clinic!
Look no further for a pharmaceutical supplier. Mayflax has over 25 years of experience in the field, so register with us and gain access to over 2000 products at affordable prices. We carry brands ranging from Pfizer to Novartis. Make your order and your delivery is on their way!
Please contact us for any inquiries.